I was walking down the aisle...love his face...
We were just pronounced 'husband and wife'...
Love this pic...
5 years have passed...how is that possible? On one hand, we have lived a LOT of life in those 5 years and then on the other hand, time has passed by so quickly. Time has a funny way of doing that, doesn't it? Just passing by without us even realizing it? I am certain (Lord willing), I will wake up one day at the ripe ole' age of 80 and ask myself the same question, "How did I get here so fast?"
Time is fading and life is Fragile. Lord, please help me to remember that daily. Help me to remember that today is a gift you have given me, given our family.
After our 1st anniversary, we kinda got lost in the shuffle of life and didn't really do much to celebrate. This year was a bit different. We were hoping to go back to Napa. We have been saying that since we wed, that we would go back on our 5 year anniversary. We took a trip there before we were engaged with my sister and Chuck and fell in love. Here's a pic of us on the San Fran bay...
Well, you guessed it, life kinda got in the way of the Napa trip. We have made a very big, life changing decision (to be saved for another post) and felt it was probably not in our best interest to go to Napa at this time. We do, however, have a weekend trip to Chicago planned in July as a sequel to our anniversary. Excited about that, but happy to be only spending a fraction of the money we would have in Napa.
But this year, we were not just going to let our anniversary come and pass so quietly like years just passed. Typically Scott and I can be on two separate planets when it comes to planning things. This time, the planets aligned just right...we both had the same thing in mind. We decided to go on a 5 mile hike on the Lewis & Clark Trail and then to the winery in Cottleville for some dinner, wine, music and 'just us'. It was a hot day, temps in the 90s, but the shade from all the trees throughout the hike made it feel a lot cooler. Although, definitely not cool. This was the first time we completed the entire hike together. Many steep hills, look out areas with views of the bluffs overlooking the Missouri River. Quite pretty, honestly. And very calming. We needed the calm. Life can and has been hectic, going at a pace I would not wish upon others. So the hike, allowed us to unwind, talk without interruption and just enjoy the quiet, the beauty around us. It was wonderful. Along the hike, at one of the look out points, we decided to stop and sit - soak the scenery in and enjoy a bit. Scott pulled out a letter he wrote to me. He often comments on how I am the writer in the family and he is horrible at it. I would beg to differ, especially after reading that letter. The letter was titled, 'Man's view of the first 5 years of Marriage'. He so intricately detailed all the significant parts of our journey since we first met. I didn't cry, but I did have tears in my eyes. Tears of happiness, tears of joy. The road has not always been easy, but we have shared the ups and downs together. It makes the joys more joyful and the heart aches, not quite so hard. Scott is my rock, he is my constant here on this earth. Knowing his heart for the Lord and our family, I have comfort in knowing I have found the right man for me. He proves it to me over and over, each day, by his actions. By his pursuit to draw close to God daily, by the way he works so hard, by the way he loves unconditionally. I am blessed beyond measure; beyond what I deserve.
Thank you Jesus, for bringing this wonderful man to me. I can only pray for many more years together.
5 years, a lot of ups and downs, a whole lotta love and 2 awesome kiddos later...our legacy continues (by God's grace)...



No comments:
Post a Comment