How do I describe this past Sunday? One word, amazing.
How much joy can one life bring? One word, abundant.
Over the past several days, I have uttered these words many times, "my heart smiles". That is the best way for me to desribe my feelings about our time at Step Up for Down Syndrome. The event was held at the Muny area of Forest Park. It was a beautiful, sunny day. Forest Park is beautiful in itself, with the Zoo nearby, the Boathouse, History & Art Museums. Not to forget the awesome running/biking path that surrounds the green patches of grass, trees, parks. A tad warmer than what the weather man originally predicted (you know they are never right). ;) But, beautiful nonetheless.
Snodgrass Family heads the pack for "Team Graham"I am not certain on the number, but I believe we had about 80 people there supporting us. From family and friends to several of our small groups at church that even included some people we had never met until that day. We were humbled and in awe looking at the sea of 'Team Graham' shirts.
Our dear friend, Sally and Renee, best sister ever - showing a good view of the front of the shirts. Love them...
This is the Bible verse on the back of our shirts.
I have to say, we were blessed by a sweet friend, Laura Woods, who created the design for the shirts. They were: PERFECT! And then doubly-blessed by The Oldelehr's, who were instrumental in getting the shirts made and shipped to us (for a great deal!). We can't thank each of you enough!
Adeline (aka: sister) was on a walkin' mission! Ok, and a popsicle mission too. :)
This lil' guy can't walk yet, but we loved pushing him (our guest of honor) in his stroller. I am certain he loved all the extra love and attention he got too.
Yes, he is sporting a bit of a faux hawk. It's cute! ;)
Grandmas were there in full force!
PaPa too! :)
Ummm...time for a break - enjoying daddy's shoulders.
I haven't been exactly 'vocal' about our Graham on this blog with regards to him being born with Down syndrome. I wasn't trying to hide it, moreso I didn't want it to define him. It doesn't. Yes, he has Down syndrome. But, he also has brown eyes. And he has a contagious laugh. And he has straight hair that has a hint of red in it (we're still trying to figure out where the red came from - LOL). You see, Graham IS a lot of things. More importantly, he is our son who was sent to us from Heaven and created in our Savior's image...just like you and me.
A year ago, I had NO idea this event took place, right in my back yard. Makes me a bit sad. But this year, we had the priviledge of walking in it. I can't lie, I was a bit apprehensive about it. It's the unknown, not knowing what to expect... I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised. Surprised by what a wonderful, family-friendly event it was for ALL. Surprised by the outpouring of love and support by so many people. Surprised by how significant one life can change the lives of so many. DSAGSL is who put this event on. They have been instrumental in our journey thus far and our new lens of how we look at the world. You see, life does change when you have a child with special needs. I will save some of those thoughts for another blog I am planning to post on Graham's birthday (later this month). But, God is good. He had a plan from Graham and He had a plan for our family. It is an honor to be given the call of being this little boy's mommy. Just like our shirts (the Psalms) state, Graham is fearfully and wonderfully made! He is God's perfect gift to us.
Down syndrome - words that once were so very foreign to us, now, is part of our every day lives. It is our prayer that more will educate themselves and spread awareness. Knowledge truly is power. For more info on DS, click here: Down syndrome facts.













No comments:
Post a Comment