...and THAT is hard.
As a parent to a child with special needs, facing challenges becomes part of "everyday" life.
You start to roll with things.
Even if it's not what you would want to have to roll with.
I mean, you kinda have to.
It's part of the territory.
Graham will be 6 years old in June.
SIX YEARS OLD!
Down syndrome is a part of who he is...
It's a part of ALL of us (in this family) now too.
One never knows what the big obstacles might be when you are faced with a genetic condition of this type.
Some individuals with Ds have major heart issues, some don't.
Some individuals with Ds have tons of feeding/eating issues, some don't.
The list is extensive.
Everyone is different.
Yes, even someone with Ds.
God created ALL of us unique.
Graham is no different.
Although Ds plays a big part of that.
Some individuals with Ds are able to talk, some cannot.
And THIS is our LOT.
Will Graham ever talk?
We just don't know.
And my heart yearns so deeply to hear sweet words come from my son's mouth.
Typing this out is incredibly difficult for me to do.
There is a pain inside of me that I am not sure will ever go away completely.
A pain that will move me to tears because the ache is so deep.
Like now.
Because as his mama, I want SO much for him.
And, I soooooo want him to be able to talk.
To communicate with his mama and daddy; with others.
We have worked with some incredible speech therapists.
We have explored and worked diligently on numerous ways to communicate...PECS, APPS, SIGNS, you name it.
Sometimes I feel as if we are going in circles trying to help G-man figure out what might work best for him.
But...
I can't make that happen.
Not even the best of the best of therapists can 'make' that happen either.
Graham is...
Graham.
And ONLY Graham will be able to (prayerfully & hopefully) one day show us.
..........
My favorite part of the day is getting Graham out of bed.
He is all smiles as I take him into my arms and we spend a few minutes hugging one another.
His hugs are the best.
If you haven't had one, you NEED TO!
And he looks in my eyes.
And he smiles.
And I swear I hear him saying he loves me.
Although no words actually come from his mouth.
Did I mention writing this is incredibly difficult?
Crying the ugly tears here...
On the one hand, there is something so very precious about my son's silence in words.
His ability to SHOW us love through touch and smiles.
His ability to try other forms to communicate, like taking my hand and walking me to a door he wants opened. Or giving me his iPad when he needs help.
There is beauty in his unique ability to do things in Graham's way.
The only way he knows how to right now.
And I am OK with that.
I really am.
I have to be, right?
But I also cannot help myself to want more for him too.
And we will keep pressing forward.
And we won't stop because that's just not a part of our DNA. ;)
And we will continue to pray that one day those precious three little words that most of us take for granted when we say them everyday...
Will be able to come out of our son's mouth.
And I promise, it will NOT be taken for granted...
Should we ever get the opportunity.
A Different Kind of Love Story….
6 months ago


No comments:
Post a Comment