SNODGRASS means Smooth Grass

SNODGRASS means Smooth Grass
This is our family's journey as we "walk" through life together...

Two Shall Become One

Two Shall Become One
Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. -Genesis 2:24

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

It's only a house.

But, this was our "home".
I can remember those days of house hunting as an engaged couple. It was fun. It was exciting. We were embarking on new territory and we got to do it together.

We found 5633 Walnut Point Lane and fell in love with it. It was a beautiful home. A home we could 'grow' in and at that time, had dreams of doing just that.

And so, 2 months before we said "I Do" to one another, we said "I Do" to this house and closed on making it ours.

That was March 30, 2007.

And almost 2 months later, that house became our home as newlyweds.

Yes, we did all those little things to make the house our own, like painting and changing light fixtures and those sorts of things. But honestly, we didn't have to do too much as we truly loved the house the way it was...

And why does it matter that we sold a house?

I know, I know...I have tried to ask myself that same question.

"Georgia, it is ONLY a house." It IS replaceable. And as much as I tell my little girl that all that matters is that we're together as a family and it doesn't matter WHERE; a little part of me feels like I am lying.

And so I began to think about it...

And here is just a tiny bit of what I came up with that I will share with you here...

This was the "home" we spent our first night as a married couple.

This was the "home" I cried all those tears for months wondering if we would be able to have children.

This was the "home" we WERE blessed with 2 beautiful children and we brought them both home (as delicately as possible) from the hospital.

This was the "home" our babies took their first steps, said their first words, celebrated those ever-so-important 1st birthdays and realized how much their mommy and daddy loved them.

This was the "home" we were NOT always perfect in. 

And while there was definitely heart ache, the joy overcomes that every single day.

There was a LOT of life shared together here as a family...loss/change of jobs, loss of loved ones, celebrations of new babies born to family & friends, those ever-so-memorable family holiday gatherings, where we started our tradition of our favorite day of the year to spend Christmas with just our little tribe at home in our PJ's all day and those countless walks around the neighborhood (that I will deeply, deeply miss).

Laughter, tears, joy, sadness...every emotion under the sun.

When we went for the final time to make sure everything was cleaned up, we repeated to Adeline "look around sweetheart, soak this in, because this is the last time you will be here and it will be hard for your little self to remember all the goodness you had here" (as I sit here at the table balling my eyes out trying to type this).
When we first purchased this home, I remember scrubbing every square inch before we moved anything in. On my hands and knees (because that's how my mama taught me to clean...it is the best way, BTW) ;)

I was in the front hallway closet and as I turned around (yes, still on my hands and knees), I saw something written on the wall inside. It scared me for a brief second and then my eyes focused in on the words. 

You see, before us, there were 2 previous owners. One for less than 1 year and another for over 20. This sweet family that we were purchasing this "home" from wanted to leave a note to their "home sweet home".
I so loved this. 

For so many reasons.

But especially to know and 'feel' there was so much love in this "home" prior to us moving in.

So, of course we had to leave our mark too...
Our prayer is that these new owners will LOVE this "home" as much as we did.

And while we know the Lord has us walking down a new path for our growing family...we will truly miss this "home".

No comments:

Post a Comment