SNODGRASS means Smooth Grass

SNODGRASS means Smooth Grass
This is our family's journey as we "walk" through life together...

Two Shall Become One

Two Shall Become One
Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. -Genesis 2:24

Monday, May 17, 2010

Mama runs for Bob...


Indianapolis, IN - One America Indy 500 Mini Marathon
May 8, 2010

I signed up for this race last December.  It's a run I have wanted to do for quite a while - it's the largest half-marathon in the US and you get to run the Indy 500 race track as part of the course. How cool is that???

Leaving behind Scott and Adeline wasn't so fun, but a girl needs a 'girls weekend' every now and then. ;-)

Earlier this year, I got news that a dear friend of mine's (Maureen) husband was diagnosed with lung cancer. He's not a smoker (as I would have thought too, if I didn't know him). Come to find out more people are diagnosed with lung cancer than ALL other cancers combined. That was alarming to me! And a large number of these individuals are non-smokers. The world is a crazy place - that I have learned. There aren't always answers to our questions, but I hold tight to my faith in Christ. As Romans 8:28 states: 'And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose'. Cancer can be a scary word to many, me included. My father passed from colon cancer when I was 16. I have seen my co-worker's wife battle time and time again and she is only in her early 40's...5 years now and the cancer has come back 5 times. I have seen a miracle in another life - my friend, Sally's sister, Sue. She was healed from cancer when doctors basically said there was no hope. So now, another friend has started his journey with cancer, Bob. Mo (as Maureen goes by) calls the journey 'Bob's Marathon'. Bob has always been a runner. One thing we have in common. :) 

While training for the run, I talked to Jen (my running partner below) about what we could do to honor Bob during this run. Honor his fight, to let him know we (along with many others) are out there cheering for him and praying for healing. She came up with the idea of having shirts made. I loved it. On the front is says 'Bob's Marathon' and on the back, one of my favorite scriptures. Hebrews 12:1 'Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us'.




I have to admit, I had some personal things going on with me that was brought to my attention the day before leaving for Indy (that I will opt not to get into). My family didn't want me to go - or at least not run. Honestly, for me, it wasn't an option. I knew in my heart that I had trained, I was ready and with lots of prayer----God would get me thru. And that He did (along with Bob's running spirit). I remember talking about Bob to my running friends. Strangers asking about our shirts. I remember thinking how much would Bob love to be out here right now (how blessed I was to have the opportunity). It made me sad, but gave me energy to push forward. After mile 7, I was excited that the race was over half way over. Every mile thereafter got better and better. God is good and He gives me strength as He gives Bob strength.
I will continue to wear my new shirt with pride and be thankful for the opportunity that I get to spread the word about a wonderful man who continues his marathon. I am honored to be able to help log a few more miles in his journey...
All of us girls that met up in Indy to run the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment