My heritage is Greek. Hence my maiden name, Damalas. Well, for that matter, my first name too, Georgia. I was named after my Greek grandmother, Georgia (Yorda Yia - pronunciation in Greek). Me and two of my cousins. In Greek tradition, you name your first daughter after the father's mother. So, there are 3 of us. It is also custom to name your first son after their grandfather. My grandfather's name was Konstantinos Anthanasios Damalas. My father's name was Anthanasios Konstantinos Damalas. My brother's name is Konstantinos Nicholas. See a different trend here? Well, my mom said 'no' to the middle name and went with Nicholas instead (still Greek though). This tradition is important and keeps the line going so you always know where you came from. I love that about being Greek - so much history, so much tradition. My father was born in Greece and lived there until his young adulthood. At that time, he was working on a cargo ship and decided not to get back on when the ship was leaving Canada. He made his way into the US. Yes, illegally.
He wanted more from life and took action in his own hands to make that a reality. At that time, he met my mother. My mother's name is Betty Lavern Aubuchon (maiden name Chastain). Daugher to James Lincoln Chastain and Christine Cushman (yes, she got remarried after a not so great marriage to my grandfather). I will talk more about my mom later, but one thing I will mention now is how I love looking at the pictures of her and my dad when they met; when they were in love. She was so beautiful. I can see a smile on her face in pictures that I don't know if I have ever seen in person. A smile you get when you are 'happy in love'. Or, at least that's what it looks like to me.
My mom pushed my dad to become 'legal'. He wanted to help his family in Greece, so he made an agreement with the US Gov't...if he fought in the Vietnam War, then he could bring his family to the US. He did it - he fought for the US, a country that was still so foreign to him, but with struggle, there is great joy. His 3 brothers, Ted, Kirk & Chris came and stayed-got married, had families. His sister, Sophia, decided Greece was her home and opted to return where she is still today, married with one son. Yia Yia (my Greek grandmother) also did not want to liver permanently in the US, but she would visit often. My parents married, had Nick (what he prefers to go by) and then along came me about 18 months later. Born April 20, 1973 on Good Friday. At 6:45am life began for me...
Why: Walking in the Smooth Grass??? Guess I haven't answered that yet, huh? :)
A Different Kind of Love Story….
6 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment