SNODGRASS means Smooth Grass

SNODGRASS means Smooth Grass
This is our family's journey as we "walk" through life together...

Two Shall Become One

Two Shall Become One
Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. -Genesis 2:24

Thursday, April 10, 2014

World Down Syndrome Day...March 21st!

 TEAM GRAHAM!!!
World Down Syndrome day is always March 21st. The 3rd month, 21st day. I love that since Ds is made up of 3 copies of the 21st chromosome. This has become an annual day of celebration for us...celebrating the lives of those living with Ds and the love they bring to us. Especially our Graham!
Last year, I started a new tradition to read at Adeline's school. A book that speaks about Ds to educate the kiddos. This year it was, "We'll Paint the Octopus Red". It's a lovely book! After reading it, I did a short Q&A with the class about Down Syndrome then opened it up to any questions they might have. My first question was how babies come out of mommie's tummies. Not a one question was about Down syndrome. Honestly, it makes me smile. They don't ask because they truly do not care. As in, all kids are, well, just kids. It's pure, it's honest, it's innocent and it's the thing this world is missing most. Next year, I look forward to reading in Graham's pre-school class and Adeline's K-class! :)
Something new we started doing too was the Run for 21. This was our 3rd year and the run's 3rd year too! We had a wonderful group of friends there to run and support us, our sweet Graham. Neal, Brittany, Jamie, Jamie, Kristy, Jen, Nikki, Nancy, Madeline, Emily, Jen, Beka & Lindsey. Wow...I look at this picture and it brings SO much joy to my heart.
Most ran the relay - a 21k is for the 21st chromosome (which is basically a half-marathon). You can run the entire race or do a 3 man relay. Again, love the analogy there....3 people doing a 21k. It is a very hilly course, but a cool run at the same time. Loved seeing all the "Team Graham" shirts!
I will end with this post I made on Facebook that day when it was still so fresh in my mind...

My heart is full. So, so grateful to our amazing friends that came out to "represent" our Graham! Loved seeing the "Team Graham" shirts as I was running, praying, thinking at the Relay and Run for 21. The hills were challenging, but I was reminded of the many challenges set before Graham. And when I wanted to walk while running up 1 of 100 hills, I thought of G struggling during one of his PT workouts, how he works so hard to keep going and so I kept a truckin' too. The cherry on the top was coming home to his cute face! Fearfully & wonderfully made... #runfor21#thankfulforfriends #trisomy21



No comments:

Post a Comment