SNODGRASS means Smooth Grass

SNODGRASS means Smooth Grass
This is our family's journey as we "walk" through life together...

Two Shall Become One

Two Shall Become One
Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. -Genesis 2:24

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Daddy runs the MO Cowbell Marathon!

Your first question might be, "why did Scott decide to run a full marathon?"

Well, I asked myself that same question. But, the answer is relatively simple. 

We have had the privilege to get to know the Muckerman's. We met them thru the local chapter of the Down Syndrome Association of Greater St. Louis. One of the very first people we met thru the Association actually. I can still recall that first time meeting them, although it is somewhat fuzzy in my mind (as it was still a difficult time of processing for me). They are similar in age to us and have children around the same ages as our kiddos. Their oldest, Shane, has Ds. This "unique" bond we share, instantly bonds us. But, just because we have similarities, doesn't mean we will be friends. In a short time, God blessed us thru a wonderful friendship with this family.


Matt, the dad, is a "runner". I say it that way because he runs, he enjoys running and he is really good at it. Good as in fast. I can call myself a runner, but in actuality, I run because I enjoy just getting out there, but I am definitely NOT a fast runner! LOL.

Matt asked Scott to do a run with him. They started looking around and then they decided on doing the MO Cowbell. It was right here at home, St. Charles. They got a running plan and off it went. I guess I did wonder in the back of my mind if Scott would truly go thru with it. Yes, he started running. But, he hadn't signed up. To me, it doesn't become official until you sign up. Then, there is no turning back. In August, I signed Scott up. By this time, he was already in the thick of his running schedule.

The guys got to run some runs together. Unfortunately, schedules and families don't always mesh, so many runs were done alone, including a 20 miler (that I am certain Scott wishes he could erase from his mind). ;)

After the 20, the taper began. And then it was "GO" time. Someone posted the following on FB and I shared with Scott before the race. It's the truth. It's good to challenge, to push ourselves. But it's not always about winning. Isn't it really seldom about winning in reality??? I believe so. It's the courage, the character. And we got to show this to our daughter recently thru a game of Candy Land. It is hard to lose and Adeline definitely did not want to lose. Oh, the teachable moments in a simple childhood game. Yet, ones that are important for a lifetime.

I prayed over Scott before he left for the race. I wanted him to find JOY in the run. While I knew it would be difficult to finish the race, I wanted him to persevere. I wanted him to think of Graham and how SO many things in this life that come so easy to Scott and myself, will be a difficult obstacle for Graham to overcome. Today, the marathon, is just ONE obstacle in the grand scheme of things in life, relatively small to all the obstacles Graham will face in his lifetime. BUT, Graham will hear about this day and his sister will hopefully recall it by memory, that Daddy finished the race that was set before him. Because we do not give up. We finish what we started. Even when it's difficult. Especially when it's difficult.

Me, Adeline, Graham & Grandma met up with Kristin and the kids to go to the race route and cheer on Scott & Matt several times throughout the race. 
Adeline SO loved giving the runners HIGH 5s!!!

Mile 5: Feeling good and LOTS of smiles!

Mile 8: Still looking strong! 

Mile 17: A quick stop for some love to carry thru!

Mile 21: Legs started to cramp up, but pushing thru!

Finish!!!

I was able to get a short video of Scott crossing the finish line with this baby girl in hand. :)
I love my family so much and am so blessed by the wonderful example Scott is in the lives of our children. Thankful God has made him a man of character. So proud of him and this awesome accomplishment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment